This is how to make the custard, which is the base of the ice cream. It is NOT an instruction on how to MAKE ice cream, mainly due to the fact that ice cream freezers are all different.
That's your problem, not mine. :-)
Old Fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream
3 cups sugar
½ cup flour
½ tsp. salt
6 ¼ cups milk
5 eggs, beaten
5 cups whipping cream
2 ½ Tbls. vanilla extract
Combine sugar, flour and salt in saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat approximately 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Gradually stir about 1 cup of hot mixture into beaten eggs. Add egg mixture back into remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute: remove from heat. Refrigerate 2 hours. Combine whipping cream and vanilla in large bowl; add chilled mixture, stirring with wire whisk to combine Freeze as directed according to your ice cream freezer.
Tips & Tricks:
· I use vanilla paste instead of vanilla extract. Vanilla paste has a stronger vanilla flavor without the alcohol of an extract, plus the paste has vanilla bean seeds throughout.
· BEFORE refrigerating the mixture, strain the custard into a plastic container and seal with a lid.
· The custard can be made the day before and refrigerate overnight. Be sure the container is sealed tightly as the custard will absorb other flavors in the refrigerator.
· The step that says combine the whipping cream and vanilla in a large bowl is redundant in the sense that you can simply mix it in the container that comes in the ice cream freezer.
· My ice cream freezer holds 5 quarts. Be sure to adjust the recipe according to the size of your ice cream freezer.